Subject: Re: strlen on a NULL
From: [email-masked] (Richard H. Gumpertz)

13 May 1998 05:58:07 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Ian Collins)
Cc: [email-masked]

> If I do a strlen on a NULL pointer I get a coredump.
> I have the same code running on a few *other* Unix machines with
> exhibiting this behaviour.
> OK, so I could tidy it up, but I wondered is this an oversight or the
> correct behaviour?

You may, if you wish, consider this a feature: all simple references through
NULL pointers are detected.  This lets you know there is a problem and so you
can fix your bugs!  :-)

-- 
 ==========================================================================
 | Richard H. Gumpertz, PhD        VOICE:(913) 642-1777 or (913) 534-5062 |
 | Computer Problem Solving        FAX:  (913) 752-6615 or (913) 642-8777 |
 | 4518 West 89th Street, Suite 220                                       |
 | Prairie Village, KS 66207-2293                     E-MAIL: [email-masked] |
 ==========================================================================
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".