Subject: Porting XaoS to Windows...
From: [email-masked] (Jan Hubicka)

12 May 1998 20:09:39 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked]

Hi
I am thinking about porting XaoS to Windoze (just to make angry one my friend,
who says, that GNU tools are unuseable, because they can't generate code for
Windoze). I've installed the CygnusWin32 and it seems to work (surprise :)
good job!

So I've started to think about porting the XaoS, but I know nothing about
Windoze programming... XaoS is an fast realtime fractal zoomer
(see it's homepage at http://www.paru.cas.cz/~hubicka/XaoS).
It's main purpose is to animate the fractals so it needs quite fast output
to screen. It supports bitmap, 8bit with palette, 8bit with fixed palette
grayscale and truecolor bitmaps..
New version has also an GUI with menus and dialogs, wich should possibly
use the Windoze ones (XaoS has also an built in GUI)

So my question is, what is best to use - I know that there is some
native windoze API, DirectX and OpenGL and possibly more... don't know
any advantages/disadvantages of them (only know that default Windoze
bitmaps are from down to up. XaoS can handle this)

Also there is some different compilers - lcc32, wich don't have many
optimizations, so it is not interesting for me...I want gcc :)
but there is cygWin32 and some simplified clone. It is better for me
to use the simplified clone? (in order to get as small as possible binarry
that don't need cygnus runtime environment?)

Is there any docs describing Windoze programming? Or the BEST sollution:
is there someone interested in helping me with this? It should not be
much work. Usual driver for XaoS has 300-600 lines.. with GUI it should
be bit longer....nothing too drastical IMO..
So if you want help, you will be highly apprechiated :))

Please reply to my email ([email-masked]), since I am not subscribed.

Thanks

Honza
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                   Have you browsed my www pages? Look at:
                       http://www.paru.cas.cz/~hubicka
      Koules-the game for Svgalib,X11 and OS/2,  Xonix-the game for X11
      czech documentation for linux index, original 2D computer art and
              funny 100 years old photos and articles are there!
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".