Subject: Re: B19: * expansion problem in bash?
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

11 May 1998 23:54:33 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Robert Lister <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

The shell executing the command is what globs the filename wildcards.

Are you running with the updated cygwinb19.dll from Sergey Okhapkin's
page?  See the IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE at the end of this note.

It may be possible that the argument array is being overflowed.

---Robert Lister <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Having just upgraded tp B19 (it rocks, the job control is much
better!)
> 
> I am trying to use tar to, well, tar a directory containing some 
> 6,066 files.
> 
> - From bash: tar -cf March-1998.tar *
> 
> Tar happily starts doing tar-like things, but eventaully stops with 
> something like this:
> 
> tar: Cannot add file ./Mar-1998/34E152: No such file or directory
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> 
> It's obvious that "./Mar-1998/34E152" is a partial filename.
> (they all end in .TCP or .CCM)
> 
> Could it be that bash is truncating the command passed to tar,
expanding
> 
> tar -cf March-1998.tar * to mean:
> 
> tar -cf March-1998.tar <every single filename......>
> 
> - Running the same tar command from NT's CMD.exe shell works okay
(from
> the same
>   directory, since it doesn't understand "\"
> 
> 
> So it isn't a problem with tar itself, but just with the line is it
> being 
> called with.
> 
> Any ideas, or is it something I'm missing?

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/ 
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated 
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1 
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if 
your using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler that 
comes with the tools have lots of problems that have been fixed with 
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".