Subject: Re: GNU-Win32 distribution question
From: [email-masked] (Michael Hirmke)

11 May 1998 23:42:37 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi Geoffrey,

[...]
>compiler generate Win32 native code (without Cygwin32 support).
>Cygwin32 would still be available by adding a -mcygwin32 to the gcc
>command line (maybe via environment variable as well?).
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
               !!! *yes please* !!!

>
>Given that we're moving towards a non-Unix default, I think
>InstallShield is the right way to go for the core development tools.
>People have suggested in the past that we use the Linux RPM system for
>distributing the other tools.  I don't know if that's desirable or
>not.

It *is* - definitely !

[...]
>Using RPMs would allow easy updating of specific tools which would be
>advantageous.  It would also make it easier for the Net to contribute
>packages.

Jepp !

>
>Opinions on how/whether to make use of the rpm system for GNU-Win32?

Add my vote for an rpm system !!

I didn't add anything to the above mentioned thread, because I can live
with an InstallShield installation, if I have no other choice. But if
you give me the choice, I clearly vote for rpm.

>
>--
>Geoffrey Noer

Thanx and bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:[email-masked]
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".