Subject: GNU-Win32 distribution question
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

11 May 1998 00:51:51 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked]

I've been reading the InstallShield thread with interest.  As I've
said before on this list, we are on the verge of making the default
compiler generate Win32 native code (without Cygwin32 support).
Cygwin32 would still be available by adding a -mcygwin32 to the gcc
command line (maybe via environment variable as well?).

Given that we're moving towards a non-Unix default, I think
InstallShield is the right way to go for the core development tools.
People have suggested in the past that we use the Linux RPM system for
distributing the other tools.  I don't know if that's desirable or
not.

There is no doubt in my mind that InstallShield has made it much
easier to install the tools.  The list used to get several emails a
day requesting basic installation help.  Although many more people are
using the tools than ever before, there is much less traffic devoted
to this (admittedly, the InstallShield installer in b19 had some
problems but this will get better I hope as we move to a newer version
of InstallShield and become more proficient with it).

Using RPMs would allow easy updating of specific tools which would be
advantageous.  It would also make it easier for the Net to contribute
packages.

Opinions on how/whether to make use of the rpm system for GNU-Win32?

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".