Subject: RE: To use or _NOT_ to use InstallShield?
From: [email-masked] (Edward Avis)

8 May 1998 23:36:50 -0700
Message-ID: <c=GB%a=TMAILUK%p=DCNET%l=[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

---- USER TYPE A ----

"I know what tar and gzip does."
"I don't know what this cdk.exe thing is doing."

---------------------

---- USER TYPE B ---- 

"I know how to run cdk.exe."
"I don't know how to install just with tar and gzip."  (i.e. registry
settings, env. vars, etc.)

---------------------

Most users will be a bit of both types.  IMHO the way to keep both sides
happy is to document exactly what InstallShield is doing.  If you can
get it to produce a detailed log of it's activities, that should
suffice.

--
Ed Avis <http://members.tripod.com/~mave>
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".