Subject: RE: CygWin32 and Linux
From: [email-masked] (Edward Avis)

8 May 1998 23:35:32 -0700
Message-ID: <c=GB%a=TMAILUK%p=DCNET%l=[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

>In terms of overlap with Linux, there isn't a lot of potential sharing
>that could be happening I don't think.  A possible exception is that
>we might want to use RPMs for binary distribution of individual
>packages.

IMHO Cygwin32 would become much more popular if it came complete with
source and binary RPMs of things like Perl, X11R6.3, Lesstif, and so on.
 I don't know if this fits in with Cygnus' product plans, but it seems
to me that every Unix-on-NT toolkit around is trying to outdo the others
by shipping as many utilities as possible in with the package.

Another advantage would be that pristine sources and a well-defined set
of diffs for Cygwin32 could replace the current rather chaotic porting
of programs.  That's not to put down the GNUWin32 package report; it's
certainly a useful measure, I just don't think it will scale well to
hundreds of packages.

--
Ed Avis <http://members.tripod.com/~mave>
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".