Subject: Re: To _USE_ or not to use InstallShield? WAS: Re: B19: InstallShield reports: "WinExec failed: return=20" after 99% completion
From: [email-masked] (Peter Dalgaard BSA)

8 May 1998 17:52:52 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: Text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "$Bill Luebkert" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "\"Zow\" Terry Brugger" <[email-masked]>, gw32 <[email-masked]>

"$Bill Luebkert" <[email-masked]> writes:

> <SOAPBOX>Go for simplicity; go for obvious; go for in-plain-sight; go 
> for I-know-what's-happening-when-the-install-runs; go for zip or 
> tar.gz; down with InstallShield!</SOAPBOX>

Apart from semi-religious standpoints like the above (sorry, Bill...)
may I say that those of us who are just following the development from
the sideline and from time to time want to peek at the sources or
include files, presently have to download to our Unix boxes, go to the
other end of the building, push away whoever is running SPSS on the
department PC, run InstallShield on that, make sure that things are
actually copied to places that are in our home directory, accept
whatever weird things may happen to the department PC, and then walk
back to our ordinary workplace and study the sources.

(And, yes, you can take that sentence out and shoot it...)
-- 
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Blegdamsvej 3  
  c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics     2200 Cph. N   
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark      Ph: (+45) 35327918
~~~~~~~~~~ - ([email-masked])             FAX: (+45) 35327907

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".