Subject: RE: Finding Out My Own IP-Address
From: [email-masked] (Bob McGowan)

8 May 1998 03:15:51 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

I have used an NT program called "ipconfig" (no args) to check status of
the net interfaces.  Don't know which OS you are using on the client end
and don't know if this program is part of Win95, either.

You can also try your gethostbyname() routine, but substitute your PC's
hostname for localhost.  The name "localhost" is always defined, for
every system using TCP/IP, and is always 127.0.0.1 so there is always a
valid name/ip for testing and local operations.

---
Bob McGowan
i'm:  bob dot mcgowan at artecon dot com

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Copp [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 1998 3:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Finding Out My Own IP-Address

Hi !

Is there a function which allows me to find out my current IP address ?

My best guess was to use gethostbyname("localhost") but that always
returns
127.0.0.1. 

When I dial in to my provider via NT-RAS, I'm assigned a dynamic IP
address -
which is what I'm trying to find out.

Anyone ;-) ?

Thanks in advance.

Oliver Copp                               ________ ___  __   _    _
[email-masked]                   |__    __|   \|  | / \  / \
http://tnm.simplenet.com/                   |  |  |  |\   |/   \/   \
TNM - The Wrestling Simulator               |__|  |__| \__|___/\/\___\
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".