Subject: NTEmacs, GNUWIN32 and bash
From: [email-masked] (Pierre A. Humblet)

8 May 1998 01:29:25 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

I don't think the following NTEmacs behavior has been reported.
Running B19.1 with latest coolview on win95.

If you enter NTemacs 19.34 with CYGWIN32=tty and your shell-file-name's
value is "cmdproxy" then shell-command will fail launching gnuwin
applications properly (try gcc -v). Emacs and the application will hang.
After the application is killed (with ctrl-alt-del) its output will appear
in the shell buffer and everything will be well again (!).
If the command is asynchronous (ends with &) its output appears immediately
in the buffer and emacs unfreezes after a while but the command stays alive
in the background (kill it with ctrl-alt-del).
The problem does not appear if CYGWIN32 does not have tty or if your
shell-file-name's value is "bash".
What's the explanation? Is this a bug or a feature?

By the way, the problem with cygwin and PID reported in the NTemacs FAQ
seems to have disappeared in b19.

Pierre

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".