Subject: RE: To _USE_ or not to use InstallShield? WAS: Re: B19: InstallShield reports: "WinExec failed: return=20" after 99% completion
From: [email-masked] (Zow Terry Brugger)

6 May 1998 22:22:56 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: gw32 <[email-masked]>

What about the need to download tar and gzip first? I've dealt with UNIX emulation packages under DOS and NT before, and I end up with mismatched tars and gzips. Different ones for different packages and none of them compatible (don't ask me why, I don't understand either). So, I would go to install the system on another machine, and find that the gzip or the tar I had didn't work: the package became useless. If there was a self-extracting tar/gz, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From:	Earnie Boyd [SMTP:[email-masked]]

Correct me if I'm wrong; but, if your only problem is the registry, it
gets populated with the initialization defaults upon the first
instance of the cygwin???.dll.  So the fact that the registry keys
aren't found doesn't prevent the use of the cygwin tools.

As for the target of users, I think it would be more for the
experienced UNIX professional forced to use Win32 than it would be
with the casual windows user.  If the non-UNIX professional downloads
the toolset; he must decide whether he's interested in learning UNIX. 
If not he's going to throw it away or not use it much.

The advantages of the tarball outweigh the disadvantages and the
disadvantages of InstallShield outweigh the advantages.  I can't even
think of an advantage to InstallShield given that you don't have to
setup the registry keys prior to executing the tools.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".