Subject: RE: To _USE_ or not to use InstallShield? WAS: Re: B19: InstallShield reports: "WinExec failed: return=20" after 99% completion
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

6 May 1998 17:51:18 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Zow Terry Brugger <[email-masked]>
Cc: gw32 <[email-masked]>

Correct me if I'm wrong; but, if your only problem is the registry, it
gets populated with the initialization defaults upon the first
instance of the cygwin???.dll.  So the fact that the registry keys
aren't found doesn't prevent the use of the cygwin tools.

As for the target of users, I think it would be more for the
experienced UNIX professional forced to use Win32 than it would be
with the casual windows user.  If the non-UNIX professional downloads
the toolset; he must decide whether he's interested in learning UNIX. 
If not he's going to throw it away or not use it much.

The advantages of the tarball outweigh the disadvantages and the
disadvantages of InstallShield outweigh the advantages.  I can't even
think of an advantage to InstallShield given that you don't have to
setup the registry keys prior to executing the tools.

---"\"Zow\" Terry Brugger" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Let me throw in my 2 bits in favour of the InstallShield
installation (since it seems that someone needs to). There are all
sorts of idiosyncrasies with the windows environment that installers
must deal with: the registry is a prime example. Sure, these can all
be dealt with by hand, but that takes time that I'm sure Cygnus
doesn't want to put into a project that they provide at no charge.
Now, let me point out that I hate InstallShield: I have blamed them
for everything that is wrong with windows (in a letter I wrote to
their support department). But they certainly seem to be the lesser of
all evils. I strongly object to the tarball idea, as that would
involve dl'ing tar, gzip and performing other additional steps.
Tarballs work under UNIX b/c one doesn't need to do all that. The
reasons for this dichotomy between environments are various, but it
boils down to the fact that the two environments come from different
backgrounds, different users and different needs. Of course, the only
way to make everyone happy would be to provide both. So if Geoff has
no objection, I'd say one of you tarball proponents should volunteer
to maintain such a beast.
> 
> My 2 bits,
> Terry
> 
> 
<snip>

==
-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".