Subject: CygWin32 and Linux
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Lynch)

5 May 1998 20:32:27 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked]

CygWin32 Gurus:
I read this list every day (and the FAQ) and keep wondering:

What is the relationship, if any, between Linux and the (GNU-Win32)
CygWin32 on Windows NT?  

Is there or should there be a close relationship? Are they strictly
separate environments?

Do both Linux and CygWin32 on Windows NT only coincidentally run
similar software that is specifically recompiled and ported to each
environment? (granted its probably a lot less work than porting
Unix-like tools directly to Win32)

It appears to me that they are almost totally separate, which seems to
be a LOT (I am no expert on this) of duplication of effort.

Is there any merit merging/combining the CygWin32 development with
Linux or is that even a relevant question? (non-trivial as Linux is a
standalone OS, whereas CygWin32 is an environment under Win NT)

Am I missing fundamental something here?

I am seriously questioning what is happening here, and do not intend
this to be disrespectful to your efforts on this important project.
Please any flames to me directly rather than clutter up the list. 
Thank you.

Andrew Lynch

[email-masked]
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".