Subject: Re: To use or _NOT_ to use InstallShield? WAS: Re: B19: InstallShield reports: "WinExec failed: return=20" after 99% completion
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

5 May 1998 00:40:47 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: gw32 <[email-masked]>

---Michael Weiser <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Geoffrey,
> 
> You wrote:
> 
> >> This answer isn't an elegant one.  Download again.  I believe
that you
> >> have a corrupt CDK.EXE.  Error 20 has been defined to macro
> >> ERROR_BAD_UNIT; what ever that means.
> >While corrupt downloads have been responsible for a lot of the
> >problems people have had installing b19, some have also been bugs
> >in InstallShield.  Since it's not free software, we can't fix those
:-)
> >but we will be upgrading InstallShield to the latest version which 
> >is supposed to fix some of the nastier bugs.  So hopefully things
will
> >be smoother in b20...
> I really can't understand why you use InstallShield at all. Someone
> who is able to use Cygwin32 should also be able to unzip an archive
> and copy the files where he wants them to be. I also experienced that
> InstallShield enlarges an archive about 900 (senseless) KB.
> 

I'd like to see a zipped tarball of the binaries and include files;
and, a zipped tarball of the diffs in the cdk-src.

Using the InstallShield gets in the way of the intelligent and the
non-intelligent aren't going to understand it even if you provided
mpeg explaining it.

The idea here is that you must already have some concept of the UNIX
filesystem and UNIX administration.  If you don't have that, then
you've got to learn it also; and it still doesn't matter how it is
packaged.

Just my two cents worth,

==
-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".