Subject: forkee heap_init bug
From: [email-masked] (PBrown01)

5 May 1998 00:39:42 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

     Running Windows NT 4.0, service pack 3, Cyngus Beta 19.1 release (same 
     problem exists under 19 and probably previous releases).
     
     When running various commands (bash, find, etc.), cygwin.dll 
     intermittently fails with error:
     
     forkee heap_init: unable to allocate heap, win32 error 487
     cygwin: terminating
     fork_helper: child died before initialization with win32 error 
     1000B4F6
     
     Suspect this is a general problem, as others have reported the 
     same/similar problem with other versions of NT and other versions of 
     cygwin software.  No solution has been posted to date.
     
     Routine is dying in heap_init.cc at a call to Virtual_Alloc.  Error 
     487 is "Attempt to access invalid address - ERROR_INVALID_ADDRESS" 
     according to our friends at Microsoft.
     
     In a call to fork, heap_init tries to mirror the initial heap values 
     of the parent task by trying to map the same address space into the 
     child task as exists at the parent.  This is where the failure occurs.
     
     Am currently unable to debug, as configure will not run without 
     encountering the above error.  I may try to run configure on my 
     Windows 95 machine at home.  If I get more information I will let you 
     know.  If you have more information please let me know.
     
     --Philip S. Brown
       [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".