Subject: Re: problem with string class (not string.h vs. String.h)
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

3 May 1998 04:56:12 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Steve Lane <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

  Please see the IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE at the end if this note.

---Steve Lane <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I just downloaded and installed beta 19.1.  No problems, everything
> went fine.  I've been using it to work through "C++ Primer", 3/e (good
> book, LOTS of misprints this edition), generally without problems
> (i.e. templates, etc. work fine).
> 
> However...
> 
> This won't work, and it works fine on other compilers (i.e. g++ v.
2.8.1
> running
> on a DEC Alpha):
> 
> in file test.cc:
> 
> #include <string>
> 
> int main()
> {
>    string str( "string" );
>    return 0;
> }
> 
> I get a whole list of errors that look like the following:
> 
> mrsteve >> g++ -lg++ -I/Cygnus/b19/include/g++ -o test test.cc
>
C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32\2.7-B19\../../../libstdc
> 
> ++.a(cstrmain.o): In function
> `$_t12basic_string2ZcZt18string_char_traits1Zc':
> /home/noer/src/97r2/devo/libstdc++/std/bastring.h:163: multiple
definition
> of `b
> asic_string<char, string_char_traits<char> >::~basic_string(void)'
>
C:\TEMP\cc0010361.o(.text$_$_t12basic_string2ZcZt18string_char_traits1Zc+0x0):te
> 
> st.cc: first defined here
> 
> (plus about nine more multiply defined class methods, constructors,
etc.)
> 
> As can be seen from the command line above, this problem is not
solved by
> linking against the g++ library, or by explicitly including the g++
include
> directory.  I would LOVE to know what the problem is.   The error
messages
> seem to indicate that something is being multiply defined/included,
but I've
> been
> through the header files some (the #include recursions get pretty
hairy
> after a bit),
> and I couldn't find any obvious problems.
> 
> The version info is
> 
> mrsteve >> g++ -v
> Reading specs from
> C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32\2.7-B
> 19\specs
> gcc driver version 2.7-B19 executing gcc version 2.7-97r2aBeta
> 
> and
> 
> mrsteve >> uname -a
> CYGWIN32_NT CROAKER 4.0 19.1 i686 unknown
> 
> Any help would be much appreciated -- thanks in advance!
> 
> -Steve Lane
> 

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/ 
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated 
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1 
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if 
your using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler that 
comes with the tools have lots of problems that have been fixed with 
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".