Subject: Re: ld and microsoft libraries
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

2 May 1998 22:37:37 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <[email-masked]>,
 <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I was not aware of that feature of comdat sections.  I thought comdat
>sections mainly worked to eliminate duplicate sections, which the GNU
>linker does support.  Does the MS linker really pull specific sections
>out of an object file based on symbol references?  I don't see any
>reference to that in the PE documentation, although that doesn't mean
>it doesn't happen.  That would imply that the MS linker can treat an
>object file like an archive.

That's right.  Microsoft has a compiler option for producing objects
which can essentially be loaded "as a library".  The linker will only load
functions that are specifically referenced.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada