Subject: problem with string class (not string.h vs. String.h)
From: [email-masked] (Steve Lane)

2 May 1998 10:42:19 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I just downloaded and installed beta 19.1.  No problems, everything
went fine.  I've been using it to work through "C++ Primer", 3/e (good
book, LOTS of misprints this edition), generally without problems
(i.e. templates, etc. work fine).

However...

This won't work, and it works fine on other compilers (i.e. g++ v. 2.8.1
running
on a DEC Alpha):

in file test.cc:

#include <string>

int main()
{
   string str( "string" );
   return 0;
}

I get a whole list of errors that look like the following:

mrsteve >> g++ -lg++ -I/Cygnus/b19/include/g++ -o test test.cc
C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32\2.7-B19\../../../libstdc

++.a(cstrmain.o): In function
`$_t12basic_string2ZcZt18string_char_traits1Zc':
/home/noer/src/97r2/devo/libstdc++/std/bastring.h:163: multiple definition
of `b
asic_string<char, string_char_traits<char> >::~basic_string(void)'
C:\TEMP\cc0010361.o(.text$_$_t12basic_string2ZcZt18string_char_traits1Zc+0x0):te

st.cc: first defined here

(plus about nine more multiply defined class methods, constructors, etc.)

As can be seen from the command line above, this problem is not solved by
linking against the g++ library, or by explicitly including the g++ include
directory.  I would LOVE to know what the problem is.   The error messages
seem to indicate that something is being multiply defined/included, but I've
been
through the header files some (the #include recursions get pretty hairy
after a bit),
and I couldn't find any obvious problems.

The version info is

mrsteve >> g++ -v
Reading specs from
C:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32\2.7-B
19\specs
gcc driver version 2.7-B19 executing gcc version 2.7-97r2aBeta

and

mrsteve >> uname -a
CYGWIN32_NT CROAKER 4.0 19.1 i686 unknown

Any help would be much appreciated -- thanks in advance!

-Steve Lane

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".