Subject: Backticking in Shell Scripts
From: [email-masked] (Matthew Donadio)

1 May 1998 09:45:56 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I just installed cygwin32 19.1, but am having a strange problem.  I'm
sure I have something set up wrong, but I have absolutely no idea what I
goofed up.

If I am at a bach prompt, the following will produce the correct output:

        # echo `uname -a`

But, if I try

        #!/bin/bash

        echo `uname -a`

I get a null string.  If I add -v and -x flags for bash I can see that
uname is getting executed.

I looked through the FAQ and the mailing list archives with no luck. 
Any ideas?  If it makes any difference I am using WinNT 4.0 SP 3.  
Thanks.

--Matt Donadio ([email-masked])
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".