Subject: RE: DirectX and mingw..
From: [email-masked] (Paul Garceau)

30 Apr 1998 02:51:03 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <c=GB%a=TMAILUK%p=DCNET%l=[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

On 28 Apr 98 at 19:31, the Illustrious Edward Avis wrote:

> >>	This seems strange...have you tried directly accessing the MS SDK via
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/sdk ?  Of course, I am in the US so I
> >>haven't had any problems with that.  You might want to give it a try...
> >
> >Yeah, that's exactly the site which I went to. They have completely stop
> >you from dling the sdk, athough it does come up with an order form for 
> the
> >sdk on cd.
> 
> What is the SDK then?

	The SDK is all the basic headers and libs you need to build applications 
using VisualStudio (tm, MS), VisualC/C++ (tm, MS) or VisualBasic (tm, MS) 
that MS makes available from your local software retail outlet for the 
"mere" expense of an arm or a leg...(yes, I am cynical when it comes to 
MS-- it comes from a large dose of frustration with MS that has been 
injected into the software development market over the years).

>  I managed to download some stuff, the same sort of
> thing you get on MSDN CDs (i.e. everything you need, except the most
> important part, a compiler toolchain).

	"Aye...there's the rub...", MS wants you to buy their development tools, 
thus they will not willingly supply anything that is remotely related to 
successful development of Win32 or any subset of Win32 without 
requiring some expense on your behalf, including a portable Win32 API for 
GCC or any portable subset of the Win32 API.  Thus the niche was created 
for Gnu-Win32 development tools.  From what I can tell, this applies to 
the Borland and Watcom development environments as well.

	The Win32 API that is being used by the Gnu-Win32 build environments such 
as EGCS, Cygwin32 or Mingw32-gcc were completely developed, based on the 
first version of Win32, from scratch.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Information Systems Consultant
NewDawn Productions
http://www.teleport.com/~pgarceau/newdawn/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".