Subject: Win95 B19.1 Hangs - A (very painful) workaround
From: [email-masked] (Craig Setera)

28 Apr 1998 23:17:23 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <5010400022075402000002L022*.cygnus.gnu-win32@MHS>
To: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain

I've found a particularly painful workaround for the B19.1 hangs
on Win95 when running configuration scripts.  Turn off the cache
on your system.  I believe this helps the problem only from the
standpoint that it slows down the computer to a crawl, but I have
not had it hang yet when I've done this.  As someone else mentioned,
this problem seems to be some kind of a race condition and
running the computer at a snail's pace seems to avoid the
race condition.

I'm running Sergey's latest (4/26/98) patched version of the DLL
and following the many suggestions to reduce these hangs, but
I can not complete a configuration script unless I do the above.
When I do the above, I do run to completion, although it takes a
VERY long time.  At least, I can turn the cache back on to do the
make!

Can anyone suggest a way to help debug the problem?  Is there
a way once the hang occurs to break in an take a look at what
went wrong?  I would love to help get this solved... GNU-WIN32
is great and I'd like to help.

Craig

Craig Setera
AS/400 Enterprise Java Development
IBM Rochester
[email-masked]
(507) 253-3387 - Tie: 553-3387
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".