Subject: Re: gcc and cross-compilers
From: [email-masked] (Hannu Koivisto)

26 Apr 1998 07:27:40 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (generated by tm-edit 7.108)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

Mumit Khan <[email-masked]> writes:

| > Can anyone point me towards some info on compiling gcc (under linux) as a
| > cross-compiler with support for both linux and the cygwin-style binaries?
| > 
| 
| Here's what I do:

What about making both mingw32->mingw32 and linux->mingw32
compilers (egcs) under Linux? For a long time I've wanted to
experiment with latest egcs snapshots (I'm using these under
Linux) for making Win32-mingw apps (both under Linux and NT),
but as your www-page was lacking the mingw32 cross-compiling
instructions at least when I checked it last time, I haven't yet
been brave enough to try myself :) Is there something special I
should remember before I start hitting my head to the wall?

This will soon be quite important to me (and hopefully to others
too) because I'm developing a make replacement with distributed
capabilities. The goal is that, assuming that I manage to build
whatever-unix->{mingw32,cygwin} cross-compilers and perhaps even
mingw32-or-cygwin->whatever-unix, I can, with a single "make
all" equivalent command at my Linux-box shell, compile mingw32,
cygwin32, visual c, watcom,
{gcc,egcs}/{Linux,Solaris,DUNIX,IRIX,...} etc versions of the
program/library/whatever. And the compilation process is
distributed to all machines that simply have a suitable
cross-compiler installed. Of course, for example Visual C
version can only be compiled on a node that runs NT, but the
system finds out what host can do what target+tool combinations
and distributes the work based on these constraints.

Getting suitable Unix->{mingw,cygwin} cross-compilers is a
crucial point to get all benefit from this kind of system.

Also (this is a bit out of subject, though), is it possible
to remote-debug a mingw32/cygwin application from a
Linux/other-unix box using ddd? I've understood that gdb has
at least some kind of remote debugging features, but does the
Win32 version support these? The fact that {egcs,gcc}/Win32
produces debugging info that Windows debuggers can't understand
makes the development a bit awkward. And no, I don't like to use 
gdb from the command line :) This is especially hard for NT
kernel mode development, because Soft-ICE is pretty much the
only choice for kernel mode debugging. It would be a great
benefit if this gdb<->ddd remote debugging worked at least for
normal user mode applications.

Thanks in advance!

//Hannu
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".