Subject: Re: About cygnus passwords and users
From: [email-masked] (Michael Hirmke)

25 Apr 1998 00:57:01 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <Pine.GSO.3.96.980424132235.20467A-100000@edge>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi Todd,

[...]
>and then after you've done that, how is the resulting output used?
>i ran mkpasswd and mkgroup to create /etc/passwd and /etc/group.
>they are created with an empty password field.  i tried to use some of the
>programs which i thought may reference these files, such as login, telnetd
>and sshd, and login authentication failed for all of these.
>
>does the /etc/passwd file have to be populated with passwords?  if so,
>should they be standard unix des encrypted passwords? (ie. can i simply
>copy a password from a unix host?)  does this depend on whether the
>programs (eg. login) were compiled with a certain libcrypt?
>
>are all the answers to these questions documented somewhere?  if so, sorry
>for wasting bandwidth and please just point me at the proper place to look.

The answers are documented *somewhere* :)
A great place to find answers are the archives of the mailing list
itself.
Back to your question regarding passwords: /etc/passwd created with
mkpasswd is only necessary to provide the usernames, the password is
taken from the NT SAM by programs, which can deal with this feature, for
example Sergey Okhapkin's telnetd.
So if you don't have those programs or even worse are using Window 95,
there is no chance at all to use an /etc/passwd !

>
>--
>Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: [email-masked]

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:[email-masked]
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".