Subject: Bash eats characters from standard input
From: [email-masked] (Joseph Banta)

25 Apr 1998 00:12:10 -0700
Message-ID: <01BD6F94.6276D5C0.cygnus.gnu-win32@HERBY>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

Has anyone ever encountered the problem that bash eats/ignores 
certain characters from standard input?  I have a couple of co- 
workers who, when running bash compiled under beta 18 or 19, 
cannot type any of the characters on the next line: 
' " ` ~ 
When I say bash eats/ignores the characters, I mean the user can 
hit the key, but nothing appears on the console window.  If you exit 
from bash into dos, the characters show up, so this tells me that 
bash is getting the characters but not echoing them to standard out. 
Also you can run some other program (e.g., 'cat') within bash, and 
it will accept the characters. 

Anybody have a diagnosis for this? 

Thanks, 
Joseph Banta 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".