Subject: Re: Win95 Lockup's
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

24 Apr 1998 14:48:05 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <[email-masked]>,
Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]> wrote:
>3) If you ever do ^C then exit bash and the process before executing
>anything else.  Based on MS documentation the ^C creates a thread to
>handle the ^C.  We know that the cygwinb19.dll is not thread safe. 
>Therefore, it is best to get rid of the process with the unsafe
>thread. (Someone said that this doesn't happen with the cygwinb19.dll;
>however, since it is incorporated into Win32 I don't see how it can be
>prevented; especially on Win95.)

That was me who said that cygwin32 does not create a thread.  I was only
partially right.  Cygwin32 does not create a separate thread for handling
^C when CYGWIN32=tty.  In this case ^C's are handled by the tty handler
directly.

If CYGWIN32=tty is not set, then there *will* be a separate thread.  But,
signal handling was designed to be thread safe.  If it is not working
correctly, then that is a bug.  I'm looking into it now.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada