Subject: RE: printf problem: "%1$s" not handled?
From: [email-masked] (Jason Zions)

22 Apr 1998 18:45:50 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>, "Richard H. Gumpertz"
	 <[email-masked]>
Cc: Christopher Lee <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> `$' for positional paramters in printf() format strings is not part of
> the ANSI C standard, and if I recall correctly, it is not supported by
> POSIX either.  It is however part of the X/Open standard, I think.

You are correct in saying that no approved or current draft POSIX standard
extends the printf() format string specifications to include the positional
arg stuff ("$" formatting character). No one has brought forward such a
specification to the committee for consideration, if memory serves. (But I'm
less certain about that statement.)

Jason Zions
Chair, IEEE PASC System Services Working Group (the POSIX guys)
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".