Subject: possible make problems...
From: [email-masked] (Raj Menon)

22 Apr 1998 11:58:04 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]

I am running Cygwin31 19 + latest coolview on a WinNT 4sp3 machine
(PentiumII 300, 64Meg).

Sometime when I run "make" from emacs, some of the files get the "character device"
attribute attached to them.  From then on, no cygwin programs can access the
files.  If I then do a "ls -l > x", the files revert to their normal setting.  Sounds like
pipes are doing something funcky with the files every once in a while.

I am using the 19.0 make calling a non cygwin compiler (Intel's ic960 which
is based on some version of GCC).  BTW, all mounts are text!=binary (the default, from which I have never had any
of the problems discussed about binary/text pipes in the past) and I am running Sergey's 
cygwin32 compiled TCSH.

Below is a listing after the problem occurs.  Notice what happens to the files com.h, 
convert.c, cop.h, dev.h, hdi_arch.h, hdi_brk.h, hdi_com.h, hdi_errs.h, hdi_stop.h, 
and version.c.  This all happens when compiling "autobaud.c" which includes ALL
of the "bad" .h files, but none of the "bad" .c files.

Any help will be appreciated.

-raj

=====

before error:
====================
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5590 Apr 21 14:10 Makefile
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5590 Apr 21 14:06 Makefile~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4027 Mar 25 11:13 aplnksup.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6290 Mar  5 11:27 asm_supp.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13900 Apr 21 15:49 autobaud.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13900 Mar 31 17:07 autobaud.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3822 Mar 31 17:13 break.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone        128 Apr 21 14:12 com.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6241 Apr 14 13:33 commcfg.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6235 Mar 25 11:14 commcfg.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4937 Mar  5 11:27 convert.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2227 Mar  5 11:27 cop.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6126 Mar  5 11:27 dbg_mon.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4086 Mar  5 11:27 dev.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    27696 Mar 31 17:34 dis.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13002 Mar 31 17:36 disp_mod.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    28841 Apr  3 14:22 download.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2561 Mar 25 12:18 dram.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    19548 Mar  5 11:27 entry.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4272 Mar 24 18:23 fault.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    12482 Apr 17 10:20 fcs_hx_hw.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    12302 Apr 16 19:17 fcs_hx_hw.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4269 Apr 14 17:16 fcs_hx_hw.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4233 Mar 30 16:29 fcs_hx_hw.h~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1307 Mar 25 11:08 fcs_hx_ibr.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9151 Apr  8 13:20 fcs_hx_ldsw.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    11976 Apr 15 12:22 fcs_hx_serial.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    11913 Apr 14 17:13 fcs_hx_serial.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7339 Mar 25 11:11 go_user.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2371 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_arch.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1965 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_brk.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    14157 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_com.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4694 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_errs.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9386 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_mcfg.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4264 Mar 24 18:22 hdi_regs.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2987 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_stop.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2728 Apr  9 12:18 hi_stubs.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13867 Mar  5 11:31 hx.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6589 Mar 24 18:24 hx_break.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4209 Apr  9 11:22 hx_step.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    51553 Apr 17 17:32 init.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    51305 Apr 16 11:13 init.S~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2855 Mar 16 14:56 init.ld
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9994 Apr 21 16:06 init.o
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7121 Apr  9 16:21 io.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5512 Apr 21 14:10 main.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5533 Mar 31 17:03 main.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2160 Apr 21 16:06 main.o
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    16789 Mar 31 17:12 mem.c
drwxr-xr-x 156 0        Everyone        0 Jan 19 09:16 mon960-3.0/
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     8237 Apr  3 11:02 mon960.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7795 Apr 20 18:29 mon_epc.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7644 Apr 20 18:19 mon_epc.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13546 Apr 15 10:19 monitor.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13542 Mar 31 17:06 monitor.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2696 Apr  9 12:20 no_aplnk.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3242 Mar 31 17:38 no_flash.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1841 Mar  5 11:31 no_float.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2575 Mar  5 11:31 no_fp.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2287 Mar 31 16:36 no_para.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2829 Mar  5 11:31 no_pci.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1806 Mar  5 11:31 no_post.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2634 Apr 15 10:56 no_timer.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7397 Mar 25 11:34 parse.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3719 Mar 25 11:53 perror.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1832 Mar 17 14:56 post.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5876 Mar 31 16:41 retarget.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5084 Apr  9 16:20 runtime.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     8671 Apr  9 16:22 serial.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9101 Apr 17 09:37 set_prcb.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     8679 Mar 31 16:25 set_prcb.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3963 Mar 24 18:31 trace.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3111 Mar  5 11:32 ui.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5135 Mar 31 17:33 ui_break.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    31655 Apr 21 13:59 ui_main.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    31777 Apr 20 19:09 ui_main.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3014 Apr 12 20:32 ui_rt.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2274 Mar  5 11:32 unimplmt.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1883 Mar  5 11:32 version.c

after error:
=================
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6290 Mar  5 11:27 asm_supp.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13900 Apr 21 15:49 autobaud.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13900 Mar 31 17:07 autobaud.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3822 Mar 31 17:13 break.c
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone     0,   0 Apr 21 14:12 com.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6241 Apr 14 13:33 commcfg.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6235 Mar 25 11:14 commcfg.c~
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Mar  5 11:27 convert.c
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Mar  5 11:27 cop.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6126 Mar  5 11:27 dbg_mon.h
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Mar  5 11:27 dev.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    27696 Mar 31 17:34 dis.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13002 Mar 31 17:36 disp_mod.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    28841 Apr  3 14:22 download.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2561 Mar 25 12:18 dram.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    19548 Mar  5 11:27 entry.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4272 Mar 24 18:23 fault.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    12482 Apr 17 10:20 fcs_hx_hw.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    12302 Apr 16 19:17 fcs_hx_hw.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4269 Apr 14 17:16 fcs_hx_hw.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4233 Mar 30 16:29 fcs_hx_hw.h~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1307 Mar 25 11:08 fcs_hx_ibr.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9151 Apr  8 13:20 fcs_hx_ldsw.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    11976 Apr 15 12:22 fcs_hx_serial.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    11913 Apr 14 17:13 fcs_hx_serial.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7339 Mar 25 11:11 go_user.c
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_arch.h
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_brk.h
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_com.h
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_errs.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9386 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_mcfg.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4264 Mar 24 18:22 hdi_regs.h
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_stop.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2728 Apr  9 12:18 hi_stubs.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13867 Mar  5 11:31 hx.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6589 Mar 24 18:24 hx_break.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4209 Apr  9 11:22 hx_step.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    51553 Apr 17 17:32 init.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    51305 Apr 16 11:13 init.S~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2855 Mar 16 14:56 init.ld
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9994 Apr 21 16:06 init.o
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7121 Apr  9 16:21 io.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5512 Apr 21 14:10 main.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5533 Mar 31 17:03 main.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2160 Apr 21 16:06 main.o
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    16789 Mar 31 17:12 mem.c
drwxr-xr-x 156 0        Everyone        0 Jan 19 09:16 mon960-3.0/
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     8237 Apr  3 11:02 mon960.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7795 Apr 20 18:29 mon_epc.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7644 Apr 20 18:19 mon_epc.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13546 Apr 15 10:19 monitor.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13542 Mar 31 17:06 monitor.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2696 Apr  9 12:20 no_aplnk.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3242 Mar 31 17:38 no_flash.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1841 Mar  5 11:31 no_float.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2575 Mar  5 11:31 no_fp.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2287 Mar 31 16:36 no_para.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2829 Mar  5 11:31 no_pci.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1806 Mar  5 11:31 no_post.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2634 Apr 15 10:56 no_timer.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7397 Mar 25 11:34 parse.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3719 Mar 25 11:53 perror.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1832 Mar 17 14:56 post.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5876 Mar 31 16:41 retarget.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5084 Apr  9 16:20 runtime.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     8671 Apr  9 16:22 serial.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9101 Apr 17 09:37 set_prcb.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     8679 Mar 31 16:25 set_prcb.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3963 Mar 24 18:31 trace.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3111 Mar  5 11:32 ui.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5135 Mar 31 17:33 ui_break.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    31655 Apr 21 13:59 ui_main.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    31777 Apr 20 19:09 ui_main.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3014 Apr 12 20:32 ui_rt.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2274 Mar  5 11:32 unimplmt.c
crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Mar  5 11:32 version.c

after "ls -l > x"
=========================
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6290 Mar  5 11:27 asm_supp.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13900 Apr 21 15:49 autobaud.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13900 Mar 31 17:07 autobaud.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3822 Mar 31 17:13 break.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone        128 Apr 21 14:12 com.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6241 Apr 14 13:33 commcfg.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6235 Mar 25 11:14 commcfg.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4937 Mar  5 11:27 convert.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2227 Mar  5 11:27 cop.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6126 Mar  5 11:27 dbg_mon.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4086 Mar  5 11:27 dev.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    27696 Mar 31 17:34 dis.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13002 Mar 31 17:36 disp_mod.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    28841 Apr  3 14:22 download.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2561 Mar 25 12:18 dram.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    19548 Mar  5 11:27 entry.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4272 Mar 24 18:23 fault.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    12482 Apr 17 10:20 fcs_hx_hw.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    12302 Apr 16 19:17 fcs_hx_hw.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4269 Apr 14 17:16 fcs_hx_hw.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4233 Mar 30 16:29 fcs_hx_hw.h~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1307 Mar 25 11:08 fcs_hx_ibr.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9151 Apr  8 13:20 fcs_hx_ldsw.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    11976 Apr 15 12:22 fcs_hx_serial.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    11913 Apr 14 17:13 fcs_hx_serial.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7339 Mar 25 11:11 go_user.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2371 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_arch.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1965 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_brk.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    14157 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_com.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4694 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_errs.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9386 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_mcfg.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4264 Mar 24 18:22 hdi_regs.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2987 Mar  5 11:27 hdi_stop.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2728 Apr  9 12:18 hi_stubs.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13867 Mar  5 11:31 hx.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     6589 Mar 24 18:24 hx_break.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     4209 Apr  9 11:22 hx_step.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    51553 Apr 17 17:32 init.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    51305 Apr 16 11:13 init.S~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2855 Mar 16 14:56 init.ld
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9994 Apr 21 16:06 init.o
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7121 Apr  9 16:21 io.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5512 Apr 21 14:10 main.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5533 Mar 31 17:03 main.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2160 Apr 21 16:06 main.o
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    16789 Mar 31 17:12 mem.c
drwxr-xr-x 156 0        Everyone        0 Jan 19 09:16 mon960-3.0/
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     8237 Apr  3 11:02 mon960.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7795 Apr 20 18:29 mon_epc.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7644 Apr 20 18:19 mon_epc.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13546 Apr 15 10:19 monitor.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    13542 Mar 31 17:06 monitor.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2696 Apr  9 12:20 no_aplnk.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3242 Mar 31 17:38 no_flash.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1841 Mar  5 11:31 no_float.S
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2575 Mar  5 11:31 no_fp.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2287 Mar 31 16:36 no_para.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2829 Mar  5 11:31 no_pci.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1806 Mar  5 11:31 no_post.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2634 Apr 15 10:56 no_timer.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     7397 Mar 25 11:34 parse.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3719 Mar 25 11:53 perror.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1832 Mar 17 14:56 post.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5876 Mar 31 16:41 retarget.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5084 Apr  9 16:20 runtime.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     8671 Apr  9 16:22 serial.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     9101 Apr 17 09:37 set_prcb.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     8679 Mar 31 16:25 set_prcb.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3963 Mar 24 18:31 trace.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3111 Mar  5 11:32 ui.h
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     5135 Mar 31 17:33 ui_break.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    31655 Apr 21 13:59 ui_main.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone    31777 Apr 20 19:09 ui_main.c~
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     3014 Apr 12 20:32 ui_rt.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     2274 Mar  5 11:32 unimplmt.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone     1883 Mar  5 11:32 version.c
-rw-r--r--   1 0        Everyone        0 Apr 21 16:06 x

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".