Subject: More newbie questions to get up to speed....
From: [email-masked] (Nagle, Adrian)

21 Apr 1998 00:10:28 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: GNU-WIN32 Project <[email-masked]>

Thanks to those who helped me a few weeks suggesting how to set up bash
to read my .bashrc and to start in my home directory.

I added in the cygnus.bat file the lines:
1> SET USER=%USERNAME%
2> SET HOME=/home/%USERNAME%
3>.....
4> bash -login

My .bash_profile and .bashrc are executed.  But I still end up in the
desktop directory.  If I type "> cd", I do end up in my home directory.
Does bash not perform the same here as on a UNIX platform?  I always end
up in the home directory there.  I suppose a simple "> cd" at the end of
my .bash_profile will solve.  I want to make sure there isn't something
funny going on somewhere else.

I noticed that bash is NOT case sensitive, at least for directory names.
I can understand why, but wanted to make sure that is true in all cases.

BASH PROMT:
I have set the PS1 prompt to:
PS1="\u on \h <\!> "

The \u does not work for me.  I end up with:
I have no name! on XXX <1> 

What variable does \u use?  I have %USER% and %USERNAME% both defined!
If I "> echo $USER" I get the correct username.

I have more questions, but answers to these will do me for a while!  :)

Adrian

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Adrian Nagle                                      Tele: 303-939-6518
Thermal Engineer                                   FAX: 303-939-5166
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
Boulder, Colorado
http://www.ball.com/aerospace/batchp.html

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".