Subject: bash 2.01 (b19.1) remaining Alt-Gr and accent key problems and .inputrc problem.
From: [email-masked] (Jan Skarvall)

16 Apr 1998 09:58:18 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: Cygnus GNU-Win32 <[email-masked]>

I have had problems with my laptop (Windows95) with swedish keyboard
together with bash in b18 release.

I have now just downloaded the b19 release of cdk and added the b19.1
update.
With b19.1 I can now use `@�, `$�, `{�, `[�, `]�, `}�, `\�, and `|�,
which are generated with the AltGr key on my keyboard. However there are
some other keys that does still not work (nothing is echoed):
*AltGr combination that should give `��.
*Accents, that requires to be combined e.g. with a `e�, giving `�,
`�, `�, and `�.
*AltGr-~, that requires to be combined e.g. with a `e� that should
result in `~e�, and with an `a� the result should be an `�. The lack of
tilde is  most disturbing.
*The swedish characters `�, `Ŵ, `�, `Ĵ, `��, `ִ.
*The characters `��, `��.
*The character `��.

All these keys works when invoking bash with --noediting, i.e. without
readline functionality. I think the behaviour is the same in bash
--noediting as in MS-DOS-Prompt, but differs e.g. in Notepad. Pressing
the same accent twice gives nothing in bash, but gives nothing after the
first stroke and two accents after the second in notepad.

I guess some of the problems are due to that it seems that
${HOME}/.inputrc is never read, so i can not set
input/convert/output-meta properly. (I assume that it is not possible to
set those attributes interactively in bash, at least no improvment is
noticed.).

Please help out, at least with tilde and the .inputrc problem. Where in
the bash sources might the problem sit? My guess is that it is in
src/lib/readline somewhere. I have also to little knowledge about what
the keyboard deliveres on the lowest level to readline. In fact it
surprises me that the keyboard together with the driver does not hide
how the character codes are generated, e.g. if one has to use AltGr
combination on one keyboard and not on another.

Jan Skarvall

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".