Subject: RE: Small request...
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

16 Apr 1998 08:56:34 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Jimen Ching wrote:

> I see many people opposing these requests, but I have yet to see a good
> reason why it shouldn't be done.  Just because there are alternatives doesn't
> mean it is a bad idea.  Second of all, filtering on 'Sender', 'To' and/or
> 'CC' doesn't always work because some people use aliases for the mailing
> list address.  If you filter [email-masked], you will miss these
> messages.  Adding a keyword in the subject line in all messages distributed
> by the mailing list will guarantee that the filter will trap it.
> 
> Why is it bad to 'bung up' the subject line?  What's so special about a
> subject line that you shouldn't 'bung it up'?

Because it is unnecessary! Because it makes the subject line longer making 
it hard to quickly scan articles by subject -- very important for those who
get tons of messages.

As for aliases, unless someone defines global system aliases for Gnu-Win32
(can't imagine why any sysadmin will do this), it's expanded before your
MTA sends it out, so it's not an issue.  I'd rather have my filtering code
miss a few (for whatever reasons) than have extra gunk added to the
subject line.

I subscribe to over 20 different mailing lists, and all of these are
handled automatically via procmail-style tool (ours is a different setup,
but the idea is the same), and it all works beautifully. FYI, I've been on
this list a while, and don't remember gnu-win32 messages ending up in my
mailbox by accident w/out getting routed to the appropriate folder
automatically.

Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".