Subject: ImageMagick et al.
From: [email-masked] (William M. Mullins)

16 Apr 1998 08:32:37 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "\"[email-masked]\"" <[email-masked]>

Working with ImageMagick-4.0.4, trying to port to cygwin32b19.1.  The
experience has been interesting.

First the libs, using egcs and da Silva's X11 libs

    libjpeg v6b compiles out-of-the-box (OOB)
    libz v1.1.2 compiles OOB
    libpng v1.0.1 compiles OOB
    libjbig  v1.0 compiles OOB
    libmpeg V1.2 compiles OOB
    libttf v1.0 compiles OOB

    libtiff v3.3b compiles OOB -- incompatable version with
                ImageMagick 4.0.4 !!!

    libtiff v3.4b compiles OOB -- incompatable with ImageMagick 4.0.4
                    through X11 libraries
        problem is definitions of BOOL in windows.h (int) and Xmd.h
        (unsigned char)
        stupid solution is to modify libtiff sources:
            dllshell.c     line 12     BOOL --> WINBOOL
            tif_win32.c    line144     BOOL --> WINBOOL
            tiffio.h       line 81    change line to:
                        #define __OBJC__
                        #include <windows.h>
                        #undef __OBJC__
        This forces the use of WINBOOL for the boolean in the windows
        calls and BOOL for the X11 calls.  It may break some codes
        but...

ImageMagick 4.0.4 now builds fine...works OK.  Only compile warnings are
have to do with "empty definitions in <Windows32/Structures.h>".  It
seems that the word "Status" somehow disappears/is redefined to " " or
something????  This does not effect the built executables though.

Build ImageMagick 4.0.4 with inclusion of da Silva's HDF libs (but not
his libz.a and libjpeg.a, they are earlier versions) gives similar
complaints, but succeeds.  Have not yet tested the results on HDF files,
but is work fine on all the jpegs, pngs, tiffs and gifs I have thrown at
it.

Next, mpeg_encode 1.5b-patched compiled with little/no problems and
passed at the tests.

The netpbm package compiled without many problems.

If anyone is interested in the binaries, I can provide them
individually, but I have no ability to post them!

Sorry about the long discourse.

W. M. Mullins

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".