Subject: RE: Small request...
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

15 Apr 1998 23:56:01 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

---Jimen Ching <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I see many people opposing these requests, but I have yet to see a
good
> reason why it shouldn't be done.  Just because there are
alternatives doesn't
> mean it is a bad idea.  Second of all, filtering on 'Sender', 'To'
and/or
> 'CC' doesn't always work because some people use aliases for the
mailing
> list address.  If you filter [email-masked], you will miss these

Every mailer I've ever used always expands the alias to include the
actual address.  Therefore, you should never miss these messages in
the filter as long as you use the "contains" feature.

> messages.  Adding a keyword in the subject line in all messages
distributed
> by the mailing list will guarantee that the filter will trap it.
> 
> Why is it bad to 'bung up' the subject line?  What's so special
about a
> subject line that you shouldn't 'bung it up'?

Subject: This is my test subject.
Subject: [gnuwin32] This is my test subject.
Subject: Re: [gnuwin32] This is my test subject.
Subject: [gnuwin32] Re: [gnuwin32] This is my test subject.
Subject: Re: [gnuwin32] Re: [gnuwin32] This is my test subject.
Subject: [gnuwin32] Re: [gnuwin32] Re:[gnuwin32] This is my test
subject.

I hope this is enough to convince you that you don't want to "bung up"
the subject line.  Also the subject line is one of the conditions for
controlling "threading".

> 
> --jc
> 

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".