Subject: Re: Small request...
From: [email-masked] (Peter Dalgaard BSA)

15 Apr 1998 23:38:36 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: Text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Jimen Ching <[email-masked]> writes:

> I see many people opposing these requests, but I have yet to see a good
> reason why it shouldn't be done.  Just because there are alternatives doesn't
> mean it is a bad idea.  Second of all, filtering on 'Sender', 'To' and/or
> 'CC' doesn't always work because some people use aliases for the mailing
> list address.  If you filter [email-masked], you will miss these
> messages.  Adding a keyword in the subject line in all messages distributed
> by the mailing list will guarantee that the filter will trap it.
> 
> Why is it bad to 'bung up' the subject line?  What's so special about a
> subject line that you shouldn't 'bung it up'?

Point one: 

        ("mail.gnuwin32" "^Return-Path: <[email-masked]>")

has filtered all list traffic correctly for months. And the wildcards
haven't been necessary since last September. (It switched from
gnu-win-owner32 to owner-gnu-win32 at that point in time).

Point two: 

Several mail agents use a layout like the following
!  [  62: Jan-Jaap van der Hei] Re: [ANNOUNCE] mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 based toolcha

Now imagine what happens if the subject line starts with
 
[GNUWIN32] Re: [GNUWIN32] Re: [GNUWIN32] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Humble mumble 

All we'll see is

[GNUWIN32] Re: [GNUWIN32] Re: [GNUWIN32] Re:

-- 
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Blegdamsvej 3  
  c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics     2200 Cph. N   
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark      Ph: (+45) 35327918
~~~~~~~~~~ - ([email-masked])             FAX: (+45) 35327907

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".