Subject: Re: Finding Defined Routines In Libraries
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

15 Apr 1998 18:01:25 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: "Mark H. Wood" <[email-masked]>,
        Gnu-Win32 list <[email-masked]>

---"Mark H. Wood" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > In order to find out what routines are defined in a lib*.a or a MS
> > *.lib (not Borlands) you can do the following:
> > 
> > nm --demangle --defined-only <libname.a>
> 
> I get a feeling (from this and other postings) that the Gnu-Win32 
> binutils understand MS .lib format as well as archive (.a) format. 
Is 
> there something, somewhere, which actually says this, and I just
missed 
> it?

I don't know if it is in the FAQ or not but I do know from experience
that it will work for MS .lib's and not for BORLAND .lib's.

I also have read, somewhere, that it is by design that things are to
interwork with MS formats.  Not necessarily the other way around
though.  I've as much as just copied a MS some.lib to libsome.a and
linked with it.  The linker complains about multiply defined .text and
other such symbols but only gives warnings.  The program didn't run,
but it wasn't for this reason that it didn't run.  So, I still don't
know if you can do this and just ignore the warnings or not.

Does anyone else have any experience with copying some.lib to
libsome.a and have the program work?

> 
> -- 
> Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [email-masked]
> I'd rather be designing and coding.
> 

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".