Subject: RE: cpio problem
From: [email-masked] (Bob McGowan)

14 Apr 1998 21:33:10 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "'Ian Collins'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

There has been lots of talk recently about binary vs. text mode with
pipes in bash (it seems bash defaults the pipe to text mode).  This may
also apply to I/O redirection.  I also saw one post that seemed to
indicate that ash.exe, in the B19 distribution, does not set text mode.
You could try running ash.exe, then the cpio < file and see if that
works.  If so, then this would be another good example of why text mode
I/O operations are "not good".

Please accept my apologies for sending you this directly as well as to
the list.  The list is so flakey and slow currently that I felt this
would be the more reliable and speedy way to get an answer to you.

Bob McGowan
i'm:  bob dot mcgowan at artecon dot com 

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Collins [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 13, 1998 10:12 PM
To: 'Gnu Mailing list'
Subject: cpio problem

I have just compiled and made cpio on gnu win32 b19.
I tested it with a 400Mb binary cpio file.
If I use,

cpio -icv < file.cpio

then it gets a premature end of file error.

However, if I use,

cpio -icv -I file.cpio

then it works OK.

What is stdin doing?

Ian Collins. 
KIWIPLAN NZ.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".