Subject: Correction: Strange behavior in ftp
From: [email-masked] (Ian Collins)

14 Apr 1998 00:44:36 -0700
Message-ID: <C1A9DAABC292D111A4D90000F879A2BA0EF3.cygnus.gnu-win32@NTMAIL>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "'Gnu Mailing list'" <[email-masked]>

The ftp that I am talking about is the one that comes with Sergeys
inetd.

I telnet and login to my NT machine (running NT4 SP3 and gnu19 and
inetd).
I run the following,

/usr/local/bin/ftp hp

Connected to hp.kiwiplan2.co.nz.

220 hp FTP server (Version wu-2.4(5) Tue Jan 23 12:33:30 NZDT 1996)
ready.                                                          
Name (hp:Ian):     

I enter my username (ian).
I am automatically logged in to this machine (It never asks for my
password!). Now it happens that I have the same password on my NT
machine as the hp (Unix) machine. It looks like my NT password is passed
to the Unix ftp server !????? (very nice of it, but...).
I don't have any .netrc files setup on my NT machine (not that that
would have made any difference as it asks me for a username).
If I specify a different username, then it just says "530 Login
Incorrect" (again, a password is transparently entered for me).

*** CORRECTION FROM PREVIOUS POSTING
*** Ignore the following paragraph. It behaves the same as above (I used
the winnt ftp mistakenly for the following)

*** HOWEVER, if I just run a bash shell on my NT machine (i.e., not
through telnet), and again run the above ftp command, then it asks for
my 
*** username, but won't accept any password at all (no matter what
username I give).

I can hear a large drink calling.

Ian Collins. 
KIWIPLAN NZ.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".