Subject: RE: Motif/Xt/Xlib
From: [email-masked] (Alexander Stockdale)

11 Apr 1998 20:45:25 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <c=GB%a=TMAILUK%p=DCNET%l=[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        Edward Avis <[email-masked]>

Edward Avis wrote:

> I think there is now a version of WxWin which runs on top of GTK.
> 
> There was somebody on this list a while ago who was porting the GIMP
> (and hence GTK) to Cygwin - how's it going?
> 

GTK was easy to get going.  I think the only change I made was in the 
makefile, to use -lXext as a ld flag. Anyone thinking about porting 
GTK based software to Cygwin should take the plunge.

As far as my progress with the GIMP... I hacked enough of it into 
running condition to prove to myself it could be done.  At this point 
I am going back, and doing the whole thing properly (with CVS, etc.) 
so that I can post the diffs (which are minor).  I still haven't 
solved the plug-in problem I mentioned earlier, but Sergey's comments 
about bash forcing pipes to be text mode make me wonder if that might 
be a problem (as I have been running it under bash).  If someone 
could get shared memory going under Cygwin it would help.  Anyway, 
all of this takes a back seat to the day job, so progress is slow.

One other thing... anyone think that porting GTK to use the native 
Windows API, rather than an Xserver, would be a good thing to to? An 
easy thing to do?

Alexander Stockdale

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".