Subject: Re: Warning: Porting Win32 socket code
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

11 Apr 1998 08:58:20 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Simon Tuffs <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

---Simon Tuffs <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> If you are porting code to CYGWIN32 that has already been ported to
the
> WIN32 API, and which uses the send/recv socket calls etc, beware
that it
> might well end up calling the wrong functions.  The file winsock.h
> defines send as a PASCAL function, while socket.h defines it as an
> ordinary C function.  Calling the wrong one is a good recipe for
> failure.  The safest thing is probably to -UWIN32 and rebuild all of

Even safer would be to remove the WIN32 and WINNT defines from the
specs file.  These also might get in the way of porting any GNU style
package as there may be some coding already existing for WIN32.  If
you need it then you can always add the -D<WINxx> switches to the
precompile.

I also suggest running the ifnames script from the autoconf package to
see if anything interesting exists.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
 http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
 http://www.findmail.com
 http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".