Subject: Commercial release of Win32 native development tools
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

10 Apr 1998 19:42:56 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

Hi all,

Cygnus Solutions announced on March 31 the availability of the
GNUpro Toolkit for Win32 including full commercial support.

This product includes all of the standard Cygnus-supported development
tools as well as a non-GPL'd commercial license for the Cygwin32
library (although the Cygwin32 library itself is still unsupported, at
least for this initial release).  Future releases will include egcs as
the compiler and may include user tools such as a shell, file
utilities, etc. which are not present in this release.  The version
of Cygwin32 included in this release is of the same vintage as the
beta 19 release.

For more information, please contact a Cygnus sales representative
by sending email to [email-masked].

The press release follows.

Regards,

Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]

--------------------------- press release --------------------------

CYGNUS SOLUTIONS SHIPS GNUPRO TOOLKIT FOR WIN32

De Facto Industry Standard, Complete with World Class Support and
Customization Services, Now Available for Native Developers on Windows
95 and Windows NT

ESC EAST, CHICAGO, March 31, 1998 -- Cygnus Solutions, the leader in
native and embedded software for the widest range of 32- and 64-bit
microprocessors, announced today the immediate shipment of its GNUPro
Toolkit for Win32.  The GNUPro Toolkit for Win32 enables software
developers to use the de facto industry standard toolsuite, including
gcc, gdb, gas, linker, binary utilities and libraries, for Windows 95
and Windows NT applications.

The GNUPro Toolkit for Win32 is a single, open source code-based
toolchain, complemented by Cygnus' mission critical, high-end service
and support.  To maximize embedded developers' productivity and reduce
time-to-market, Cygnus offers unmatched tool customization services
that enable flexibility and optimizations for target microprocessors.

The GNUPro Toolkit for Win32 was designed to meet the needs of native
developers challenged with preserving and reusing a large code base on
multiple host environments, while meeting performance and schedule
commitments.  The GNUPro Toolkit for Win32 includes a specialized
library function, which provides a shell allowing developers to run
GNUPro using UNIX-style commands.  Cygnus has begun working with
companies, such as Lockheed-Martin, to preserve its large source code
base, using GNUPro for Win32 to migrate UNIX applications to Windows
95 and Windows NT.

"With the work of our growing GNUPro research and development team and
the contributions of hundreds of GNU software users on the Internet,
Cygnus is committed to offer developers a unique solution to running
and porting applications in the Win32 space," said Paul Salazar,
director of marketing for the Development Tools Group at Cygnus
Solutions.  "Our tools address the complex problem of moving
applications across a range of host environments.  GNUPro is the
preferred software Toolkit for the widest range of 32- and 64- bit
microprocessors, offering over 125 host-target combinations for native
and embedded developers."

The benefits of GNUPro
The GNUPro Toolkit provides developers with a stringently tested
product, complete with documentation, semi-annual product releases,
world class support and customization services to assist developers in
making transitions across different hosts and target microprocessors.

Cygnus' GNUPro development toolsuite comes complete with an ANSI - C
conformant compiler, ANSI tracking C++ compiler, a source- and
assembly-level debugger, a Macro-Assembler, Linker/Loader, Make/Build
utility, libraries, binary utilities and source code.

Besides Windows 95 and Windows NT, the GNUPro Toolkit offers
cross-platform capabilities and support on other major operating
systems, including Solaris, SunOS, Digital UNIX, HP-UX, AIX, Unixware
and IRIX.

Availability and pricing
The GNUPro Toolkit for Win32 is immediately available for shipment.
 For more information, contact a Cygnus sales representative or
Cygnus' corporate headquarters in Sunnyvale, Calif., at 408/542-9600.
 Pricing for the native GNUPro Toolkit starts at $7,495 for a one-year
support contract for up to five developers; and it includes a
commercial-use license for the Cygwin32 library.

About Cygnus Solutions
Cygnus Solutions is the leader in native and embedded software for the
widest range of 32- and 64-bit microprocessors.  Cygnus delivers
integrated commercially supported solutions on Windows NT, Windows 95
and most UNIX platforms for developing leading-edge software
applications.  The company works in conjunction with microprocessor
manufacturers and OEMs on high-value, high-volume applications using
robust development tools such as Cygnus Foundry, Source-Navigator and
the GNUPro Toolkit --- the most widely used C/C++ compiler toolchain.
 In addition, Cygnus provides its customers with custom-engineered
solutions and mission critical technical support.

Cygnus Solutions, founded in 1989, is a global company with
headquarters in Sunnyvale, Calif., and sales and engineering offices
throughout North America, Japan, Germany and the United Kingdom.  For
more information, call 1-800/CYGNUS1 (outside the United States call
408/542-9600) or visit the Web site at http://www.cygnus.com.

# # #
Cygnus is a registered trademark and GNUPro, Cygnus Foundry and
Source-Navigator are trademarks of Cygnus Solutions.  All other
company and product names are trademarks of their respective holders.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".