Subject: Re: phantom file
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

10 Apr 1998 15:57:59 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: phantom file "aux" under bash b19
>Reply-To: Peter Miller <[email-masked]>
>Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 10:19:48 +1000
>From: Peter Miller <[email-masked]>
>
>
>Michael Hirmke writes:
>> There are a few of those special files: con, com<x>, lpt<x>, ...
>
>Having these files is *every* directory seems excessive.
>(I've run into this problem, especially ``aux''.)

These "files" don't exist as files.  These are devices that are reported 
on by ls as devices.  They do not reside on the disk drive. 

>
>Surely they could be absolute?
>	/con, /com<n>, /lpt<n>, etc...
>
>or even a touch unix-ish
>	/dev/con, /dev/aux, etc...
>

It is possible that an occasional file of such name does get created on 
the disk, especially from a tarball.  If this ever happens, to remove 
the file you must FULLY specify the path. 
EG: rm //c/disk/path/to/aux

>Perhapse the location could be specified using mount?

They are emulated via the cygwinb19.dll.

>
>
>Regards
>Peter Miller	E-Mail:	[email-masked]
>/\/\*		WWW:	http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/
>Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are personal and do not 
necessarily
>	reflect the opinion of my employer or the opinions of my colleagues.
>-

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/       (German mirror)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".