Subject: Request for help: Cross-platform development
From: [email-masked] (Caspian Foxworth)

10 Apr 1998 13:26:01 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.3.96.980407121928.19404A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@shell>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

To all--	
	
	I am about to begin developing a graphical game. It will be
developed under Linux and ported to Win32. I have at my disposal CygWin32,
EGCS and DJGPP. My goal is to produce a product WITH NO POSSIBLE COPYRIGHT
ISSUES; hence, I do not want to use ANY!!! Microsoft products whatsoever
in the development of the game. So.. here are my questions.

	1) Would it be possible to compile the network.c file (containing
	   UNIX-style network functions) with CygWin32 or EGCS, then
	   "knit" the resulting network.o file together with .o files
	   compiled with native, non-UNIX-style compilers.. i.e. DJGPP,
	   VC++, Borland C, etc.? If I could compile UNIX-style .c files
	   AND Windoze-style C files and put them together, it would be
	   VERY handy.

	2) Regarding copyright issues.. anyone have any insight there?

	3) I will be coding graphical/GUI functions with "wrappers". If
	   the target platform is *nix, the "wrapper" functions will be
	   programmed to call XDrawPoint, XDrawString, etc. etc. etc.
	   If the target platform is Win32, the same functions will
	   be programmed to call the Windoze function to draw a point,
	   the Windoze function to draw a string, etc. etc. etc.

	   Here is a problem.

	   I need to know-- and this is quite important-- where I can
	   find a Micro$oft-free graphics library providing such
 	   functionality. It'd be wonderful if I could simply port the
	   entire game retainings its original Xlib/X Intrinsics calls..
	   however, this would require everyone who wants to play the
	   game in a Win32 environment to install an X server! This is
	   NOT practical.

	  PLEASE, I desperately need help. However, I would like e-mails
	  directly to me... please. Feel free to FORWARD the response to
	  the entire discussion list, but it's getting just too spammy,
	  and I am removing myself from it.. I will get an e-mail address
	  only for it. }:)

							--Caspian

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".