Subject: Warning: Porting Win32 socket code
From: [email-masked] (Simon Tuffs)

10 Apr 1998 02:21:36 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

If you are porting code to CYGWIN32 that has already been ported to the
WIN32 API, and which uses the send/recv socket calls etc, beware that it
might well end up calling the wrong functions.  The file winsock.h
defines send as a PASCAL function, while socket.h defines it as an
ordinary C function.  Calling the wrong one is a good recipe for
failure.  The safest thing is probably to -UWIN32 and rebuild all of
your code.  If you get random failures in send/recv, check whether the
real function being called is send or send@16.  The latter of these is
the PASCAL imposter.  The assembly code mode of the debugger will show
you this.

--
Simon Tuffs
Systems Architect
Octant Technologies Inc

(remove -nospam from return address to reply by mail).

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".