Subject: RE: phantom file "aux" under bash b19
From: [email-masked] (Edward Avis)

10 Apr 1998 02:21:33 -0700
Message-ID: <c=GB%a=TMAILUK%p=DCNET%l=[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

>You don't understand. Cygwin doesn't create these names; ideally, cygwin
>could make them completely unmagic.
>
>Unfortunately, the magic meaning of those names is hardcoded into Win32.
>There's no way to avoid the problem if you use Win32 APIs, which cygwin
>does.

Well... you could equally say that there's no way to make symbolic links
using the Win32 API, but Cygwin does that.

IMHO it would be a good idea to map filenames like "con" and "aux" to
_con and _aux.  Not a very pretty solution, but at least it would let
things like aux.sh in Perl work properly.

>The MS POSIX subsystem doesn't have trouble with those names because it is
>implemented on top of the native NT API and doesn't use Win32 to open files.

I thought Win32 _was_ the NT API.  Does this mean the POSIX subsystem
won't run on 95?

--
Ed Avis
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".