Subject: Re: ld -r (relocatable link)
From: [email-masked]

9 Apr 1998 05:40:29 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

In gnu-win32 [email-masked] (Simon Tuffs) writes:

>The GNU-WIN32 linker (ld) appears to be unable to perform relocatable
>linking, and when faced with an object module built that way, it
>crashes.  I have seen others on this group comment that ld -r is not
>supported, and I was wondering was there a technical reason, or
>otherwise.  I need this capability, and I will be happy to implement it
>if I can, and if others can help me get started.  I am currently working
>around the problem by using the archiver to build archives rather than
>relinkable object modules.

Although cygwin32 ld -r does not work in the cygwin32 b19 release, I
believe that it will work in the GNU binutils 2.9 release, thanks in
part to patches contributed by Thomas de Lellis.  binutils 2.9 should
be available within a week or so, and you should be able to build it
under b19.  This code will presumably be included in the cygwin32 b20
release, but that probably won't happen any time soon.

Ian
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".