Subject: Re: Pipe with TCL/TK
From: [email-masked] (Ian Lance Taylor)

8 Apr 1998 19:15:52 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

   From: Paul Hepworth <[email-masked]>
   Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 16:05:22 -0600 

   > What you should do is look at the expect program, at
   > expect/exp_event.c, where I had to get a similar thing to work.  Look
   > particularly at make_pipe_channel and friends.  That will show you how
   > to make a pipe channel that will work on Windows.  It's pretty hairy.
   > 
   Does it work on win95 as well as nt?  I was under the impression that win95
   only supported named pipe clients, not servers.  Maybe the key here is
   NAMED.  Anyway, the goal is to send messages to a non-gui app in a way that
   is portable between unix and windoze.  My though was named pipes.  My
   fallback was memory-mapped files.  What would you suggest?

I haven't tested expect on Windows 95.  Maybe somebody on this list
would like to do that.

In any case, the code is not using named pipes.  It is using anonymous
pipes.  As far as I know, Windows 95 has full support for anonymous
pipes.

Named pipes on Windows are not really compatible with Unix.  From my
Unix perspective, Windows named pipes are weird.  I don't know what's
up with them.

Have you considered using sockets?  Socket programming is much the
same on Unix and Windows.

Ian
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".