Subject: Revisited: echo when telnetting
From: [email-masked] (Ian Collins)

8 Apr 1998 19:02:27 -0700
Message-ID: <C1A9DAABC292D111A4D90000F879A2BA0EE7.cygnus.gnu-win32@NTMAIL>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "'Gnu Mailing list'" <[email-masked]>

I have seen a number of postings on this issue. Most of them have
mentioned that you need to turn on local echo when you telnet to gnu b19
(with inetd).

OK, so what is different? I have various telnet clients on my desktop
PC, namely, PCXWare, ttermpro, Reflection and one that I wrote myself.
If I telnet to a Unix machine using any of these telnet clients, I see
characters as I type them as one would expect. Indeed, I can telnet
using these clients to many varieties of Unix, VMS, AOS, MPE with no
problems.

However if I use them to telnet to b19 (via inetd), then I don't have
any characters echoed back to me. 
My natural summation of this is that the problem is with inetd or
in.telnet in gnu b19 ???

Has anyone managed to overcome this problem transparently (i.e.,  not
having to change the configuration of their telnet client)???

Ian Collins. 
KIWIPLAN NZ.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".