Subject: Ported: mSQL (partial success: details)
From: [email-masked] (Marius van Wyk)

7 Apr 1998 12:55:57 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: cygwin32 <[email-masked]>

(version 2.0.3 I think....)

mSQL ported ok: some severe trouble the first times I tries as the authors
made some mistakes opening binary files as text, but that seems to have gone
away in later versions of cygwin32.

One major problem still is detecting an admin request: There is a flaw in
determining a local connection, and thus it thinks that the user is remote.

One can just find the authentication code containing "localhost" that checks
if a request is from the local machine, and bypass it.

That was quite simple.

Onother problem, only seemingly with b19, is that it detects the total number
of sockets/file descriptors in msql.c as 32, this is a problem since msql
reserves 42, leaving you with -10 to do connections with! I find that
commenting out the code that auto-detects this, defaulting to 60, and then
leaving 22 connections solves this: BUT ONE WONDERS - why only 32? Is this
right? Am I going to have a lockup in msql sometime?

In other words, is this a misrepresentation of the ammount of sockets a user
task can use. or does Cygnus really only allow 32?

For my application I'm sure msql won't need all the 42 reserved sockets, so
that may be ok.

Marius.

-----`-,-@
marius van wyk.         [email-masked]         tel: +27 (83) 274 7855
notice: My email is spam-protected, so please add the word "antispam" to
  the subject field the first time you send to me.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".