Subject: Re: bash and '&'
From: [email-masked] (Alexei A. Podtelezhnikov)

7 Apr 1998 11:35:50 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

Hello!

I tried using at command for runing a program.
Why don't you try to compile somthing like

   main()
   { while(1);
   }

and, then, do "at any_time program"? It simply won't work. At least, I
failed.

As for, "nohup ..." and/or "... &". I use it under IRIX 6.2. I don't need
to use "nohup" to avoid killing on closing the shell or logging off.
Yes, I had my program runnig in the background while the shell is open.
It's got killed on closing no metter if I used nohup or I did not.

Probably, I ask for too much. WindowsNT is not sopposed to provide 
environment for time-consuming simulations, is it?

Yes, a service will help. Unfortunately, I don't know how to write it. Can
anybody show me a service corresponding to the program above. Is there any
good book on this?

Thanks, 
Alexei Podtelezhnikov
grad student at NYU

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".