Subject: Re: cygwin and the GIMP
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

7 Apr 1998 09:36:04 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi Alexander,

>Date: 26 Mar 1998 18:01:09 -0000
>From: "Alexander Stockdale" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: cygwin and the GIMP
>
>I have been making good progress getting the GIMP working under cygwin
>but I'm having some problems related to child processes.  GIMP plug-ins 
run as
>a forked process, through the use of execvp().  The GIMP waits on the
>completion of the child process, but for some reason it is not 
detecting the
>termination of the child process.  This does not seem to be a problem 
when
>running within gdb.  Any thoughts, or information on execvp() would be 
helpful.
>

Here's a question to the cygwin community:  Will the child process 
inherit the signal handling setup by the parent as it does in UNIX or 
will the child NOT inherit signal handling as it does in WIN32?

Does SIGCHLD really work or is it just a stub?

>Also, anyone have any idea how to gdb a child process?  I just get 
messages about not
>being able to read core files.  I've tried attaching several different 
ways.  It would be
>nice if the executables could be compiled so that gdb would be invoked 
on startup.
>-

Would this work?:

Say I have a program named "a.exe" which executes "b.exe" and I want to 
debug "b.exe".  Now if I rename "b.exe" to "dbg-b.exe" and I create a 
script named "b" that executes "gdb dbg-b.exe" when I execute "b" from 
"a" it would execute the script that would execute "gdb dgb-b.exe".

This is hypothetical as I haven't tried it; but, it has the potential to 
do what you want.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/       (German mirror)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".