Subject: Re: Bash and "&"
From: [email-masked] (bruno patin)

6 Apr 1998 09:30:26 -0700
Message-ID: <000901bd5fbb$e4e1ac80$011414c0.cygnus.gnu-win32@serveur>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0006_01BD5FCC.A7006530"
To: <[email-masked]>

Message en plusieurs parties et au format MIME.

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BD5FCC.A7006530
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

A little contribution,

Before any questions, i want to express my admiration for the work that =
i've been done on

Gnu-win32.

I've two questions, one on the bash and &, the second, on the use of =
pid, gid etc.

bash and &

from the same bash,

launch of cygwish80 by :

-> cygwish80.exe &

-> ps -ef

TTY PID PPID PGID WIN32-PID UID STIME COMMAND

00 1000 1000 1000 146 1008 10:38:25 =
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe

00 1003 1000 1003 80 1008 10:39:22 =
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\cygwish80.exe

00 1005 1000 1005 179 1008 10:39:55 d:\emacs-19.34\bin\emacs.exe

00 1006 1000 1006 164 1008 10:40:21 =
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\ps.exe

launch of cygwish80 by :

-> nohup cygwish80.exe &

-> ps -ef

TTY PID PPID PGID WIN32-PID UID STIME COMMAND

00 1000 1000 1000 146 1008 10:38:25 =
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe

00 1003 1000 1003 80 1008 10:39:22 =
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\cygwish80.exe

00 1005 1000 1005 179 1008 10:39:55 d:\emacs-19.34\bin\emacs.exe

00 1007 1000 1007 92 1008 10:41:09 =
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\cygwish80.exe

00 1017 1000 1017 210 1008 10:43:19 =
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\ps.exe

In the two case, the only way to exit is to terminate the cygwish app =
and then to exit from the shell.

As we can see, the tty on wich the app runs is the bash tty, for the two =
type of launch. that's not what the nohup exec should do.

Pid, gid etc.

as described, i create the two system files on my /etc directory, that =
is, passwd and group.=20

PASSWD

Administrateur::500:513:::/bin/sh

annie::1009:513:maman::/bin/sh

bruno::1008:513:c'est le papa::/bin/bash

comptes::1005:513:gestion de money::/bin/sh

Invit=E9::501:514:::/bin/sh

sylvie::1007:513:c'est la maman::/bin/sh

GROUP

Admins du domaine::512:

Invit=E9s du domaine::514:

Utilisa. du domaine::513:

Everyone::0:

it seems to me that, inspite of these description, there are problems. =
For example, if i lauch a bash,

and then create a file (for example toto) by :

-> echo toto > toto

a ls -l command gives :

-rw-rw-rw- 1 544 Utilisa. 6 Apr 4 10:59 toto

where does the 544 comes from and also is "Utilisat. du domaine" =
expression a valid one for gnu-win32.

also i remarked that even if i wasn't the owner of a file and it was a =
readonly one i was able to change its

rights an d then ownes it.

Is there a problem or am i doing wrong actions ?

Greetings.

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BD5FCC.A7006530
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.72.2106.6"' name=3DGENERATOR>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>A little contribution,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>
<P>Before any questions, i want to express my admiration for the work =
that i've=20
been done on</P>
<P>Gnu-win32.</P>
<P>I've two questions, one on the bash and &amp;, the second, on the use =
of pid,=20
gid etc.</P>
<P>bash and &amp;</P>
<P>from the same bash,</P>
<P>launch of cygwish80 by :</P>
<P>-&gt; cygwish80.exe &amp;</P>
<P>-&gt; ps -ef</P>
<P>TTY PID PPID PGID WIN32-PID UID STIME COMMAND</P>
<P>00 1000 1000 1000 146 1008 10:38:25=20
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe</P>
<P>00 1003 1000 1003 80 1008 10:39:22=20
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\cygwish80.exe</P>
<P>00 1005 1000 1005 179 1008 10:39:55 d:\emacs-19.34\bin\emacs.exe</P>
<P>00 1006 1000 1006 164 1008 10:40:21=20
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\ps.exe</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>launch of cygwish80 by :</P>
<P>-&gt; nohup cygwish80.exe &amp;</P>
<P>-&gt; ps -ef</P>
<P>TTY PID PPID PGID WIN32-PID UID STIME COMMAND</P>
<P>00 1000 1000 1000 146 1008 10:38:25=20
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe</P>
<P>00 1003 1000 1003 80 1008 10:39:22=20
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\cygwish80.exe</P>
<P>00 1005 1000 1005 179 1008 10:39:55 d:\emacs-19.34\bin\emacs.exe</P>
<P>00 1007 1000 1007 92 1008 10:41:09=20
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\cygwish80.exe</P>
<P>00 1017 1000 1017 210 1008 10:43:19=20
d:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\ps.exe</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>In the two case, the only way to exit is to terminate the cygwish app =
and=20
then to exit from the shell.</P>
<P>As we can see, the tty on wich the app runs is the bash tty, for the =
two type=20
of launch. that's not what the nohup exec should do.</P>
<P>Pid, gid etc.</P>
<P>as described, i create the two system files on my /etc directory, =
that is,=20
passwd and group. </P>
<P>PASSWD</P>
<P>Administrateur::500:513:::/bin/sh</P>
<P>annie::1009:513:maman::/bin/sh</P>
<P>bruno::1008:513:c'est le papa::/bin/bash</P>
<P>comptes::1005:513:gestion de money::/bin/sh</P>
<P>Invit&eacute;::501:514:::/bin/sh</P>
<P>sylvie::1007:513:c'est la maman::/bin/sh</P>
<P>GROUP</P>
<P>Admins du domaine::512:</P>
<P>Invit&eacute;s du domaine::514:</P>
<P>Utilisa. du domaine::513:</P>
<P>Everyone::0:</P>
<P>it seems to me that, inspite of these description, there are =
problems. For=20
example, if i lauch a bash,</P>
<P>and then create a file (for example toto) by :</P>
<P>-&gt; echo toto &gt; toto</P>
<P>a ls -l command gives :</P>
<P>-rw-rw-rw- 1 544 Utilisa. 6 Apr 4 10:59 toto</P>
<P>where does the 544 comes from and also is &quot;Utilisat. du =
domaine&quot;=20
expression a valid one for gnu-win32.</P>
<P>also i remarked that even if i wasn't the owner of a file and it was =
a=20
readonly one i was able to change its</P>
<P>rights an d then ownes it.</P>
<P>Is there a problem or am i doing wrong actions ?</P>
<P>Greetings.</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BD5FCC.A7006530--

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".